POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Creative flub.. : Re: Creative flub.. Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creative flub..
From: scott
Date: 1 Apr 2008 02:34:52
Message: <47f1e59c$1@news.povray.org>
> Its real questionable whether intentionally breaking your
> own technology is strictly ethical or legal, when the only reason to do
> so is to force someone to buy a new one. Try that with anything like a
> car.

Exactly that thing is already done in cars.  The BMW 118d, 120d and 123d are
all exactly the same car - you get exactly the same lump of metal and
plastic.  There is a huge difference in price though.  Why?  Because there
is some line of code in the software that tells the engine how much torque
to produce, which is different for each model.  If you just bought a 118d,
you can't go around complaining that it's not fair how your car is
artificially crippled blah blah blah.  If the car manufacture did not act
like this you wouldn't have been able to afford the 118d in the first place!

> Oh, sorry, but the 2007x isn't intended to drive on Main st., now
> that they upgraded the streets with a new type of painted line, I am
> afraid it won't go faster than 3 MPH or let you listen to the radio
> while on that street. However, for an additional $20,000 you can buy the
> 2008q, which is 100% compatible... Yeah, right. That would go over good
> in court.

What law exactly would it be breaking?  SO long as they make it clear when
you buy the car what its limitations are I don't see the problem.  Of course
nobody would accept this sort of deal which is why they don't offer it.

In fact when I hire a car here in this city I can choose a cheaper option to
only drive it within this area, or the more expensive option to be allowed
to drive over the whole country, or the top price to be allowed to take it
abroad.  It's my choice, and it gives me a cheaper option if I want to take
it.